Hey. This is Justin Grant. I'm a software product manager in the SF Bay Area. My focus: pragmatically bringing consumer-web concepts (ease-of-use, social software, etc.) to the stodgy world of business software.
stuff i'm working on
We build technology that drives the future of the vending industry. We connect over 70,000 vending machines
to the Cloud over cellular wireless networks, and then provide SaaS services that crunch the resulting data. We:
- enable cashless and NFC mobile payments at vending machines
- track near-real-time machine inventory and use that data to generate "prekits" to save warehouse and driver time
- automatically build daily route schedules to optimize driver time and reduce vehicle and fuel costs
- algorithmically adjust machine planograms to increase same-store sales and reduce "empties"
- manage warehouse operations and handle back-office accountability for cash and merchandise
- are building many more things I can't talk about yet. :-)
stuff i was working on before
Splunk, a big-data
software company in San Francisco. I was responsible for
Splunkbase (Splunk's "app store"),
Splunk Answers (Splunk's support community),
and Splunk's overall strategy to build social web technology into Splunk's products
I drove Splunk's product-to-Web strategy: ensuring our app store and other community sites were seamlessly integrated into product features, were relevant for business users (not just online-community enthusiasts), and were free of ease-of-use blockers.
I also founded Splunk's Application Management product line and managed a small, cross-functional team delivering Splunk's "V1.0" Application Management product, which focused on analytics, operational reporting, and troubleshooting for Java Application Servers.
UPDATE: Congratulations to Splunk (SPLK) on the recent IPO!
Job AlchemistIn 2009 I worked at Job Alchemist, an early-stage SF startup building recruiting solutions like Startuply. As a hands-on contributor and advisor, I learned about the online recruiting & HR space and ended up refuting ideas I'd had for an HR-related startup of my own.
- msdn.com and technet.com, the Web's largest community sites for developers and IT-Pros. I was responsible for Web Analytics (at terabyte scale!), Social Applications strategy/execution, and building out an "internal SaaS" model to lower editorial and globalization costs. I also drove usability testing, overhauled site navigation across 10M+ pages, and fixed site search.
Microsoft Server Management ProductsI co-founded the "internal startup" team that built Microsoft's first Application Management product. I ended up running PM for Microsoft's server-management products including Operations Manager (now called SCOM).
StockpointI was employee #6 of Stockpoint, a web-based financial information provider. I managed operations, led web development, and scaled out Stockpoint's SaaS offering. Stockpoint was acquired and is now Dow Jones Client Solutions, part of News Corp.
Ask JeevesI was one of the original engineers on the AskJeeves.com site. I still remember the day our CEO brought the original "butler" art back from our design firm. At the time, I thought: "A butler? That's dumb. No one will like that!". Oops.
more stuff i'm working on: nerdy hobby projects
Stack OverflowI use answering questions on Stack Overflow as "Nerd Tourism" to keep my techncial skills up to date. For example: MySQL query optimization, Apache ActiveMQ queue APIs, TCP socket I/O in C++ on Linux, ASP.NET data binding, CSS workarounds for Internet Explorer, HTML screen scraping, cross-platform web frameworks, and more.
- fossfind.com, an open-source project directory, to help me find open-source projects. It's a mashup of open-source-project data that's optimized for discoverability, simplicity, and ease-of-use. Caveat: the data is out of date; I've been too busy to fix the data import. Sorry!
Open-Source ContributionsI'm one of the top contributors to OSQA, an open-source community Q&A tool written in Python. I occasionally contribute to other projects including MySQL, where I found and patched a nasty SQL-Injection security vulnerability.
other Justin Grants
- Looking for Justin Grant, software nerd? You're in the right place! Otherwise...
- Looking for Justin Grant, swanky fashion photographer? Try http://justingrantphotography.com
- Looking for Justin Grant, singer of country anthem "Drink More Beer"? Try http://justingrantmusic.com
- Looking for Justin Grant, not-country-music vocalist? Try http://justingrant.com
- Looking for Justin Grant, race-car driver? Try http://justingrantracing.com
- Looking for Justin Grant, sculptor? Try http://justingrantsculpture.com